Monday, January 3, 2011

Lesson learned. Finally.

Everyone playing poker for living has had big loosing periods. Every each one player. There just comes those days, that even so you do everything right... still everything goes wrong. Sometimes that period can last days, weeks or even months.

Over one week ago I had one of my worst days. (I'll say it was in top 3, not the worst, but very close there.)

I was focused and played my best game. I was really on top of it.

Yet still, disaster started to happen. In half an hour I lost seven "sure" all ins in a row! Usually we went all in on turn or flop, when I had hit top set or straight. Even so that on turn the percentage was on my favor 95% against 5%, or in two cases 98% against 2%, all my opponents got their miracle card.

In two more hours I also lost some other big hands, which were not all in ones from my part, but hurted still.

I was really confused and thought what is going on? I asked myself more important question: "What should I do?" And then I did all the right things:

1. I took 30 minutes break from the tables.
2. I analyzed my game carefully. I had done everything right, but opponents were extremely lucky.
3. I understood that my game was in condition, there was nothing to change in that area.
4. All the continuous and aggressive loosing had harmed my bankroll rather badly, so I had to move one limit lower.

And this was very important move! If I had stayed on the same level, I would have felt too much pressure, which would have sooner or later affected my game. I would have started to think: "I got to win now", and started to fear loosing... started to fear to take calculated risks... started to hesitate on big pots... started to lower down my bets on wrong places... started to fold on wrong places... to put it simply: IF I HAD STAYED ON THE SAME LEVEL, I WOULD HAVE CHANGED MY GAME. AND THAT WAS THE THING WHICH I ABSOLUTELY SHOULDN'T HAVE DONE!

I haven't many times been so rational and wise than what I was in there.

After moving to lower limit, everything worked fantastic. My game was exactly the same as an hour before, but there wasn't any more bad beats.

After 3-5 hours playing, I had won more than I lost in that loosing strike. In fact I have hardly ever won so much money so quickly. At least never on that level.

So... my bankroll was good again. I moved back to one level higher.

And again happened the same loosing strike! In two of my tables were, sorry to put it this way, but in both tables there were two different players, who were one of the worst players I have ever seen. To my misfortune, they hit all the impossible draws... well they hit EVERYTHING against me! And they (naturally) never folded. Really bad players play every hand all the way... and never fold. That's the sign of the worst player, everyone knows that. That is also the sign of 100% sure loosing, sooner or later. But... not against me, then and there.

In about 30 minutes, reload after reload, (my other misfortune was to get all the AA's, KK's, QQ's and JJ's that deck could have ever offer...) and all in after all in. I had sank so fast into so deep that it was unbelievable.

It tells something about these players that after they had hit their miracle and magic cards one after another... and won huge amount of money from me in 30 minutes, it took them only 10 minutes to loose it all to other players.

I was the only player against who they could suck out every time! Seriously. So they took off, since their stack was in zero. So did everyone else, because their stacks were too big to keep in the game table.

In less than 20 hours I had have two unbelievable amazing loosing strikes! Those days doesn't come often. Thank God!

After second loosing strike, I was again at the same point than after the first one. And I did all the same things. All the 1., 2., 3. and 4.

It was over week ago, and I am very happy. I have been only winning ever since every day. No loosing strikes.

I haven't been able to pull as great and fast winnings, only in few hours, that I did on the middle of that "The Worst Day Top 3". Yet still, my bankroll has gained, already four days ago, bigger than it was before that loosing strike.

And yes... I have decided to stay on the lower limit little longer. To gain my bankroll even greater and greater, so that I can take hours of impossible and aggressive loosing strikes - without it affecting my game a bit.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thumbs up! Good text.